Saturday, June 7, 2014

just a few weeks away.....

I’m only 4 weeks away from going to see Hola!

 Yes, we made the goal! All the money was raised by the week of Christmas! I have my passport my vaccinations, oral meds needed and Visa applications sent in.

To raise the money, I baked a zillion cookies and pepperoni bread, sold popcorn, begged (gofundme.com) and borrowed, (did not steal ;)) used some bonus money from work and received a discount for being a Compassion Advocate. So many people donated with no strings attached… they just gave from their heart and said “Here, Angie….. take this and go!”…and from some very unexpected people...they just showed up with giant hearts for me and Hola. In all my life I’ve never known so much willingness to give and love likes this.

Once it was completely paid for I dove right in to preparing for the trip. I have scoured Amazon and stores for the correct clothes, shoes and accessories to take for me and Hola. I've made a zillion shopping trips to find things like universal plug adapters and…now I have enough sunscreen, bug spray w/deet, Band-Aids, antiseptics’ and trail mix packed for probably Hola’s entire village. I've about 6 inches of paperwork completed, I've studied the country and culture, google-earthed the locations and airports, read tons of blogs about the dos and don’ts of international travel and mission trips. I jumped through all the hoops for my visa and passport, learned about first aid, every type of luggage, over the shoulder holder, backpack and how much each can weigh before weighing too much. I've learned about TSA, TRAVISA, Embassies and Consulates. I've bought self-studies for French & watched youtubes of the Ewe language. I’ve been educated on Malaria, Typhoid, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis, Schistosomiasis and umpteen vaccination’s and medicines to prevent getting it. And this is just what I remember off the top of my head…….

The last time I blogged was in October 2013. I've wanted to write more but a lot has been going on. My mom became very ill and my life shifted dramatically. For a time I was her 24/7 caregiver in my home but then in March she moved to a long term Rehabilitation Center. There were moments when I questioned if I was supposed to still go to see Hola and every single time I asked, without a doubt in my heart or mind, I knew then and still know, I am to go.

After working through the changes with my mom and our daily lives, more changes and grief were to come for me and my family…. February my dad passed away. :( With his passing, I was given more unexpected responsibility’s added to my plate but still, in all of this, I know I am to continue on my way to Hola. I've had to depend on God so much to help me with my broken heart and give me the courage to keep moving forward.

One of the most intimidating part of all of it so far has been getting the Visa’s. There’s so much at stake. I would have applied sooner but for whatever reason, my health insurance wouldn't let me get the Yellow Fever shot until I was 6 weeks away from the trip yet I was supposed to apply for the VISAs 8 to 6 weeks prior to the trip but needed the yellow fever vaccination to do it. Ahhh! If I didn't get the applications right, there’s no extra time or money to re-do them. I’m biting my nails to the quick until I have them finally in my hand!

I haven’t gotten a letter from Hola saying that she knows I’m coming. I sent her a letter in December letting her know I'm going there, which means she might not have even received that until Feb/March and if she writes back to acknowledge I’m coming; I might not see that letter until this month some time. I have been reassured by a couple of people from Compassion that she most likely knows and to not be surprised to find that she (and the other kids) have planned a nice welcome for all of us.

Anyway, for anybody planning a trip such as this and looking for info, I’m going to post my list of supplies that I’m taking. I don’t know if it’s too much or not enough. I’ll let you know when I return. ;)

(None of it is listed in any particular order. C = carry-on bag. S = still needed. So much stuff on carry on in case they lose my luggage)

Journal C
Bible C
Passport C
Visas C
Money (small bills) C
Nook C
Cell Phone/Calling Cards S
Camera/Batteries C
Chargers for all devices C
Universal Plug adapter C
Address labels and stamps for everybody’s postcards 
A couple ZipLock Bags
Instant coffee/Cream
Propel/Crystal Light
Granola Bars/Trail Mix/Dried Fruit/Candy C
Bandaids (large& small)
Triple Antibiotic Ointment
Ibprophen
Rain Poncho C
5 T-shirts 1C
5 Capri’s 1C
5Maxi skirts 1C
Underwear/Socks 1C
PJ’s
Bandana/Hat
Sandals C
Walking shoes
Sunglasses C
Toothpaste/Toothbrush/ Breathe Freshener C
Sunscreen 30 C
Makeup C
Shampoo/Conditioner 1C
Bug Spray – DEET 30%  C
Bug spray wipes C

Prescription Meds: Prior: Typhoid 4 doses 2 weeks before leaving, Mefloquine 1 tablet weekly 2 weeks before I leave, during travel and 4 weeks after travel, As needed: Ciprofloxacin tabs, Pepto Bismal and Anti-diarrheal meds, BC, Unisom, Dramamine, Vitamins (D, B12, Iron) - ALLC

Body Wash/Soap 1C
Hand sanitizer 1C
Baby Powder
Shower shoes
Snacks (peanuts, cheese, crack packets, energy bars, pepperoni) 1/2C
Bottled water C/after I get through the gate
Toilet Paper 1C
Baby wipes
Towel and washcloth
Plastic bag for dirty laundry
Hanger and clothespins to hang up clothes that you need to wash
Tweezers
Personal, battery powered fan
Waist pouch or money belt for passport, money C
Letters/Pictures from Hola C

For Hola
Book of Hearts
Dress
Flip-flops
Necklace
Empty photo album
Gifts from the kids to hola
Beanie Babies for the other kids
Gifts for the households I visit

Before I go....
Give a friend and family your travel itinerary and contact info in case of an emergency.
Log on to USPS.com to stop your mail delivery.
Notify the bank in case I use my card while traveling.
Photocopy print and email my passport and/or driver's license for safekeeping.
Figure out how I can smuggle Lorna in my suitcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment