Wednesday, June 26, 2013

"Everything seems impossible until it gets done"


I'm feeling a little beat up today. It's been a difficult week and most of today,worse than the past two. I'm finally sitting down for the evening and of course Hola and her family came to my mind. I feel ashamed for feeling sorry for myself (and yes, I have been feeling sorry for myself) because I've had less than a normal day and had to tackle some frustrating issues with my car, among other things.

Hola does not have running water or electricity. The floor of her house (hut?) is dirt, the walls mud and the roof thatched. Her father is 'sometimes' employed as a carpenter and the average person there makes less than $33 a month. Thats a dollar a day for Hola, her little sister and Dad to live on. As far as I am aware, they do not own a car and Hola walks quite a distance for a little girl just to get to her student center.

I have been put in my place. Yes, my family and I struggle all the time. (more ways than I care to get into here) but even still we are so very blessed compared to so much of the world. We have our own homes with nice things filling the inside. We have running water, electricity, food and jobs to pay for it. We have good health...and when we dont, we can (for the most part) easily go to the doctor and get the treatment needed to get better. Hola's mother died from Typhoid fever - which is a bacteria infection caught through unclean water and food. I don't know why she wasn't treated for the sickness but she could have been saved. When I heard about Hola's mother I contacted Compassion immediately because I read that it can be contagious without treatment. Compassion reassured me that because of my support and Hola being a part of Compassion, she would receive any medical care needed to give her better chances of preventing this from happening to her. I inquired if I could also sponsor her little sister too. Compassion said only one child is allowed to be sponsored per family. :/ They did say when I send extra money it is shared with the entire family unless I specifically say its a gift for Hola only. I worry about her often but even more so after her mom passed away. Every little girl needs their mommy :(

Hmm.. *sigh* anyway, I've sort of just rambled on a little bit here but I guess I just want to say that though I struggle and get frustrated and sad sometimes, I have to remember to keep my chin up... because all the world struggles on one level or another. All are blessed also, on one level or another. And.... I am surely blessed.

I know I cant take care of the world but I'm so very thankful God has allowed me be part of Hola's life; participating in her health care, education, activities (choir!!, field trips :)) learning about Jesus and more.

No matter who or where in the world, we all need a little help and we all need to know someone is on our side, rooting for us. I get a little lump in my throat every time I think about the moment I finally get to meet her....and her little sister.

I will get there to her. Failing at this is not an option.


2 comments:

  1. Angie, thank you so much for sharing! I believe strongly in your goal and mission. This message speaks so much to undiscovered blessings we tend to overlook daily, the abundance of things we should give and be thankful for. It also touches upon circumstances, and how some of our circustances are self made, while others are situational to our environment. Even still you have moved beyond circumstance and into faith, I will keep your journey in prayer, and I look forward to reading about it along the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melissa! Hope you are enjoying your Independence day!

      Delete