Friday, July 19, 2013

"Same kind of different as me"


The difference between me and my family and Hola and her family is that we were born in a different land. I don't know why some people are born in the land of plenty and others are not. I don't know why I was born in America and she in Africa. Gods ways and purposes are far too great for me to ever understand (while on this side of eternity) but I do know His plan is perfect for me and Hola.

I believe God matches and gently (and sometimes not so gently) steers us towards specific people that we should interact with. I believe its mainly to help each other and learn something from each other, in some way. I believe God keeps us together long enough for something to be imparted into each of our lives. Looking back I know I was on a direct path to Hola and when I finally listened to what I knew God was asking of me, He then placed her right in my lap.

The world is huge to humans. To God, it’s the size of a piece of dust. To God, Hola lives next door to me. To God, Hola is not only my neighbor but my family.

I want Hola to know when we meet, that even though we live 5503 miles apart on this beautiful planet, we are the same. We both have needs and desires. We both wake up the same way in the morning. We both look up at the same moon at night time. We both can and will have struggles and broken hearts. We both cry the same tears and feel great happiness and joy. We both give love and receive love.

I want her to know as she goes all through life that her place, where she is on earth, doesn't define her. Her struggles do not and will not define her. By Gods Grace, we both can persevere in anything we set our minds to.

I'm going to tell her in person, that it was hard work for me to get there to her. I'm going to help her understand that I beat the odds! That it is absolutely absurd for me to have made it all the way to Africa to hold her hand. I'm going to look into her little face and tell her that if we pray every day, work hard, have faith and have love for Jesus and all Gods people that we can do amazing things. I'm going to tell her that we are both children of God. That He is our Abba Father. That He is with us every step of the way and her life and all she does through her life matters and is very important to me and to God.

I know I can say all of these things to her in a letter. I probably will remind her of these things through the years but the first time, I'm to tell her in person. That is what I'm supposed to do.

“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” (Ephesians 2:10 NLT)

We are the same kind of different.




“I used to spend a lotta time worryin that I was different from other people, even from other homeless folks. Then, after I met Miss Debbie and Mr. Ron, I worried that I was so different from them that we wadn't ever gon' have no kind a' future. But I found out everybody's different - the same kind of different as me. We're all just regular folks walkin down the road God done set in front of us. The truth about it is, whether we is rich or poor or somethin in between, this earth ain't no final restin place. So in a way, we is all homeless - just workin our way toward home.”
Denver Moore, Same Kind of Different as Me


Are you going to be part of the plan? Are you going to be a piece of the puzzle that helps get me to Hola? Click the GoFundMe link to the right of this page and help me get on that plane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment