Friday, June 21, 2013

Just your every-day-run-of-the-mill, Grandma. O.o


That runs off to Africa to bring hope to one specific little girl.

This morning I was thinking about how it’s kind of ridiculous for me to be traipsing off to Africa. Sure maybe when I was 20 something but at 47 and not so healthy. Really, Angie? Not that my 20’s really would have been a better time because I was a very poor struggling single mom, but at least I had my age and good health on my side then.

I also thought about, how it was actually a little crazy for me to even sponsor Hola in the first place. I knew that if I started the commitment with her I would never allow myself to stop sponsoring her until she aged out of the program. I knew that it was going to be a good 15 yr commitment. That wasn’t an easy choice to make. I am not rich. I’m basically scrapping the bottom of the barrel of middle class and I live paycheck to paycheck. Sometimes the ends don’t even meet. Until just recently, my car was held together with duct-tape for the past 3 yrs. O.O (Thanks again, Meg and Ronny for the new front fender!) In order to sponsor Hola I knew I had to give something up. So, I gave up the monthly luxury of cable TV and I send that money to Hola. I knew God was calling me to sponsorship and He pointed me directly to Hola. I do what I have to do to get my payment to Compassion. I made the decision to respond to what God asked me to do and I’ve never regretted it.

As I thought of who I am and what I’m embarking on, I was instantly reminded of Sarah (Abraham's wife) and the absurdity of an infertile 90 year old lady having a baby. She laughed in disbelief. (Genesis 21:5-7)

I kind of laugh too, when I think about this journey I’m on. As all these thoughts were going through my head this morning, I was reminded that I don’t get to choose what God calls me to do. I do however, get to choose if I respond to it or not. (God’s Grace from start to finish!)

I didn’t think of Sarah because she had a choice of being pregnant or not. (Because obviously, she did not have a choice) When she came to mind it was because of the absurdity of it. God can and DOES choose to do crazy things through the most unexpected people. He uses the weak, insignificant and unlikely and uses them to do the most amazing things. (Corinthians 1:26-31)

To spend time with Hola is going to be a glorious time. The ridiculousness of it all, the getting there and how hard it will be while there, not so much. I know the blessings gained from all of it will be priceless . I’m choosing to respond.

So, here goes a not-so-healthy-pushing 50 yr old-grandma, striving to reach the other side of the world to hug a child. To give her a hope and a confidence that she can carry throughout her life, allowing her to know that anything can be accomplished, Insha'Allah. (God willing.)

Because if I, of all people, can make it all the way to Africa, you have to know God made that happen!

(All of this was in my head during the 10 min walk from the parking lot into the office this morning. Don’t even get me started on writing about what I was thinking from the time I woke up until I got to the parking lot! :))
http://www.gofundme.com/Hola-in-Togo

5 comments:

  1. I am so thinking good thoughts for you. I can't donate right now, but definitely will the next time we have a bit of extra money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome are God's ways even pass our figuring out. You can count me in. I look forward to the blog updates and sharing.

    ReplyDelete